wack file browser idea

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sat Jan 24 17:55:04 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 08:57, Joost Kremers wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:40:28AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:
> > location bar at bottom, with globbing and tab completion of course, also
> > implementing complete cp, mv, and ln by passing the commands right
> > through to a shell.
> >
> > Say I browse to ~/docs/foo and see a ton of JPEGs I want to move -- so I
> > type in the location bar: mv *.jpg ../../images/
> >
> > that'd be really cool <insert beavis snigger>.
>
> your description makes me wonder why you don't use bash then... the only
> situation i've ever encountered in which a graphical file manager beats a
> command line is when i have to move/copy/delete a large number of files
> that cannot be captured with a glob. with tab completion, i'm generally
> much faster typing 'cd /path/to/dir/i/want/to/move/to' than clicking and
> opening a bunch of folders in a file manager.
>
> but of course, that's just me. ;-)

oh, I do use bash :-) I'm just trying to offer suggestions for making a
graphical file manager as useful as a terminal. There are times when Rox
is more helpful for getting a quick view of what's in a directory,
particularly with thumbnail icons, and drag-n-drop is handy if both
locations are already open. Intensive operations are always done at the
terminal though, particularly when if then loops or find | xargs are
required :-)
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...