What makes Xfce so good?

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Jan 12 18:39:36 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 00:44, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:31:27PM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:
> >
> > I've used all three of those. I liked E quite a bit, but it was just too
> > unstable to use regularly and I dumped it years ago. WM is annoying to
> > configure and ugly, IceWM is just ugly. If XFce isn't available and I
> > need X, I use Ice.
>
> I really don't understand this 'ugly' or not thing.  I always end up
> removing as much of the distracting stuff from my desktop as possible
> so it makes little difference what window manager I use from that
> point of view.  Ideally I'd like to turn the icons off too, I much
> prefer buttons with words on them as I can actually understand them.

to each his own, as long as everyone understands that I AM RIGHT!
BWA-HA-HA!!!!

> It's one of the things I quite like about CDE on my Sun Sparc at work,
> you can actually get rid of just about all the icons and junk.  I have
> applications minimise to an 'icon' which is just a button with their
> name on it, I have shrunk the toolbar as much as possible, that's the
> only place where there are any icons and I just about never use them.
> I have the simplest possible basic frames around my windows.

You'd probably quite like my co-worker's window manager -- I think it's
called rat-poison. It has no frames at all, requires very little mouse
(if any), doesn't do minimizing at all (hence no icons), &c. Basically
his desktop is xclock, mozilla with all the toolbars rolled up, and a
bunch of xterms.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't do wrong, not sure what it   *