What makes Xfce so good?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 09:44:44 CET 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:31:27PM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:

> I've used all three of those. I liked E quite a bit, but it was just too
> unstable to use regularly and I dumped it years ago. WM is annoying to
> configure and ugly, IceWM is just ugly. If XFce isn't available and I
> need X, I use Ice.

I really don't understand this 'ugly' or not thing.  I always end up
removing as much of the distracting stuff from my desktop as possible
so it makes little difference what window manager I use from that
point of view.  Ideally I'd like to turn the icons off too, I much
prefer buttons with words on them as I can actually understand them.

It's one of the things I quite like about CDE on my Sun Sparc at work,
you can actually get rid of just about all the icons and junk.  I have
applications minimise to an 'icon' which is just a button with their
name on it, I have shrunk the toolbar as much as possible, that's the
only place where there are any icons and I just about never use them.
I have the simplest possible basic frames around my windows.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)