xfce4rc1 wm notes

Guido Draheim guidod-2003- at gmx.de
Thu Dec 9 21:27:28 CET 2004

Olivier FOURDAN wrote:
> Hi
>

>>>- playing around with settings and wallpaper
>>
>>  made the windowmanager crash
>

> Without a well formed bug report (ie how to reproduce the problem, tested against current CVS, and best of all, a backtrace) I can't help. Such comments are totally useless.

Sure, that would be much better, but that's what happend as a first
impression of the new desktop environment - the wm did crash and I
had to kill X. It doesn't make for the warm fuzzy feelings, ye know ;-)

>>- using xawtv to display a tv channel - using
>>  desktop changer on the panel - the window
>>  decoration of the tv overlay is removed but
>>  the tv stream is still played
>

> Do you use the compositing extension?
>
> The XawTV overlay draws directly to screen and that will prolly won't work with compositing.
>
> Again, please enter a bug report if you think you have found a relevant bug.

I dunno what that is, compositing extensions, what I am reporting (and
for the other thing as well) is that in kde and gnome it does work
correctly with the xawtv overlay to get unmapped on desktop change.
Since  there are no handles on the overlay I can not even move it away,
and it will stay on top above all other windoes - the tiling (overlapping
normal windoes) does work okay as long as the window handles are visible.
So, somehow the xawtv window is simply not quite informed of being unmapped
and on the other desktops the wm does not know the overlay is still there.
Argh.

>>- dual head screen (I did not want xinerama but
>>  nvidia twinhead is stupid I guess) - unlike
>>  in kde some windows open with a geometry larger
>>  than one head. Annoying. If the app wants to
>>  be 1600 wide it will be so on a 2x1024 setup.
>

> The WM won't change the asked geometry. It will change the positonning, not the size. That is on purpose.

Again, these things work in kde and gnome, so even that the wm might
not be involved in negotiating window sizes, somehow the toolkits
seem to believe that they can do bigger, so perhaps some information
bits in the desktop environment are missing - but I just can't tell
you which, it's been a time that I was living deep in these matters.

I didn't file these as proper bug reports as I do not have time at
the moment to recompile from scratch (I'll do probably do so over
christmas) but I want to have you informed that the first impression
of the rc1 is not at its best - I wouldn't call it any near to be
released actually, sorry. /sigh/ Dunno what's your schedule...

cheers, guido