.bash_profile not sourced

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 11:58:19 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:03:37PM -0700, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under XFCE4, my sessions do not reflect the contents of my
> .bash_profile.  It works under a Gnome login, but not with XFCE4.
>
> If I do a "source .bash_profile" from the xterm, the additional PATH
> info shows up.  Any ideas what is happening?
>
> I'm using a locally compiled XFCE4 4.0.5 on RHEL 3.0.

This is the standard ".profile only gets executed at login" thing
isn't it?  I'm not sure of the exact details with bash but for other
shells:-
    csh - .login only executes at login, .cshrc executes for every
    shell invocation
    ksh - .profile only executes at login, if ENV is set then what it
    points at will be executed at every invocation (I *think*)

Presumably bash has a similar sort of setup.

I expect a Gnome login executes your .bash_profile explicitly
somewhere whereas your xfce startup doesn't.  It's probably simplest
just to add your .bash_profile to the startup sequence somewhere.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)