minor settings problems

Teddy Caddy info at teddycaddy.com
Wed Apr 28 17:59:17 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:20, Felipe Lopes wrote:
> Hi there!!
>
> I have xfce4 up and running w/ my debian already, but there are some little
> settings that I couldnt fix.
>
> 1) The gradient of the default background is not smooth, u can see clearly
> the division of the colors like if I have a lot of circles w/ close colors.
> I have tried to change XF86Config-4 settings concerning my videocard and
> monitor (tried to use 16 and 24 bit) but didnt work....
>
> 2) Tried to use xdm and gdm but none loaded xfce4 properly...I have tried a
> lot of ways to make gdm load xfce4 but had no success...
>
> 3) Some of icons of programs Ive installed I cannot find then...My firefox
> icon I found in its folder just dun have the Fox!! Gaim icon could not be
> found at all...
I use Fedora, so the folder locations on Debian might be a little
different, but here is what I do to find icons:

If you have gnome or kde installed on the same system, you can view the
properties of the icons in their menus.  This will tell you the command
to launch, a suitable name/description, and the location of the icon.

If you want to search for the icons yourself, try these places:
/usr/share/icons/
/usr/share/images/
/usr/share/pixmaps/
/usr/share/[name of application]/

If you cant find the icon and it is driving you crazy, search the web or
post a request on this forum.  Also, the "bluecurve" icons put out by
Red Hat are nice looking, if you ask me.  Since you are running Debian,
you might want to add them.  Run dselect or synaptic and search using
the keyword bluecurve.

XFCE is a different experience when you use meaningful icons.

---

Teddy Caddy