HOWTO? xfce3 -> xfce4

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Sep 29 19:29:14 CEST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:04:27 +0200, Bob Marcan wrote:

> Francois Le Clainche wrote:
> > Le lundi 29 septembre 2003 à 17:59, Bob Marcan a écrit:
> >

> >>I have used fvwm, but switched to xfce long time ago.
> >>Reading this tread, it seems i'll switch again.
> >>This "standard" thing stinks like Windoze.
> >>:-(
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > People can use Enlightenment in KDE, Qt based apps in Gnome, xfwm4 as a
> > metacity replacement, XFce 4 panel in Windowmaker.
> > Others can build the whole XFce 4 desktop on Solaris/Sparc,
> > NetBSD/Alpha, as well as on MacOSX/PPC.
> >
> > Thanks to standards. They make sure we all keep the freedom of choice.
> >
> > Regards
> > François
>
> Yes,i know, built xfce3 on Tru64. Send some patches too.
>
> But is this nonstandard?
>
> Biju Chacko wrote:
>
>  >> howto bind menu to MB1
>  >> howto change menu bound to MB2
>  >> howto bind custom menu to MB3
>  >> howto bind "__builtin_root_menu__" to MB1
>  >> HOWTO to bind anything to (shift,alt) MBx ????????????????
>  >
>  > Not possible now.
>  >
>  > DestroyMenu "__Maximize_menu__"
>  > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Full Screen" Maximize 100 100
>  > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Vertical"    Maximize 0 100
>  > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Horizontal"  Maximize 100 0
>  >
>  >Again, not possible. Alternative:
>  >
>  >Alt-F5 or Left-Click Maximize Button : Maximise
>  >Alt-F6 or Right-Click Maximize Button : Horizontal Maximize
>  >Alt-F7 or Middle-Click Maximize Button : Vertical Maximize
>  >
>  >The keystrokes can be modified is required.
>
> I can't find anything about this in freedesktop.org.
> Is the maximize function standardized?
> Is the binding to MB1 standardized?
> Will this prevent building XFCE on other platforms?

I didn't say that these things were bot possible because they were non-standard.
I just said it couldn't be done. Heck, there were only 5 of us coding, and that
too in our spare time. Do you really expect us to implement every feature that
was developed in over five years of XFce3 development in the past year and a
half?

Look, if a feature isn't there, well *maybe* we didn't have the time to do it.
Maybe we were too busy making sure what we wrote was stable. Maybe we were
trying to keep the code bloat-free.

> I can stick with the xfce3 for a while.
> But what can i expect in the future? Someone will standardize MY screen?
> Will this in the end look like Tokyo by night or Disneyland (gnome &
> windoze)?

WTF? Look pal, if you like XFce4, great. If you don't, I could care less. I
thought perhaps I was being helpful by telling you how to achieve a fair
approximation of your requirement. But since you don't seem to like it much,
well ... go find something you *do* like.

I have better things to do.

-- b