HOWTO? xfce3 -> xfce4

Bob Marcan bob at interstudio.homeunix.net
Mon Sep 29 19:04:27 CEST 2003

Francois Le Clainche wrote:
> Le lundi 29 septembre 2003 à 17:59, Bob Marcan a écrit:
>

>>I have used fvwm, but switched to xfce long time ago.
>>Reading this tread, it seems i'll switch again.
>>This "standard" thing stinks like Windoze.
>>:-(
>

> Hi,
>
> People can use Enlightenment in KDE, Qt based apps in Gnome, xfwm4 as a
> metacity replacement, XFce 4 panel in Windowmaker.
> Others can build the whole XFce 4 desktop on Solaris/Sparc,
> NetBSD/Alpha, as well as on MacOSX/PPC.
>
> Thanks to standards. They make sure we all keep the freedom of choice.
>
> Regards
> François

Yes,i know, built xfce3 on Tru64. Send some patches too.

But is this nonstandard?

Biju Chacko wrote:

 >> howto bind menu to MB1
 >> howto change menu bound to MB2
 >> howto bind custom menu to MB3
 >> howto bind "__builtin_root_menu__" to MB1
 >> HOWTO to bind anything to (shift,alt) MBx ????????????????
 >
 > Not possible now.
 >
 > DestroyMenu "__Maximize_menu__"
 > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Full Screen" Maximize 100 100
 > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Vertical"    Maximize 0 100
 > AddToMenu "__Maximize_menu__" "&Horizontal"  Maximize 100 0
 >
 >Again, not possible. Alternative:
 >
 >Alt-F5 or Left-Click Maximize Button : Maximise
 >Alt-F6 or Right-Click Maximize Button : Horizontal Maximize
 >Alt-F7 or Middle-Click Maximize Button : Vertical Maximize
 >
 >The keystrokes can be modified is required.

I can't find anything about this in freedesktop.org.
Is the maximize function standardized?
Is the binding to MB1 standardized?
Will this prevent building XFCE on other platforms?
I can stick with the xfce3 for a while.
But what can i expect in the future? Someone will standardize MY screen?
Will this in the end look like Tokyo by night or Disneyland (gnome &
windoze)?

-Bob

  Bob Marcan                     mailto:bob.marcan at hermes-plus.si
  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T
  Slandrova ul. 2                       tel:    +386 (1) 5895-000
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              http://www.hermes-plus.si