xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Sep 29 07:03:32 CEST 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:40:31 -0700 (PDT), Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, David F. Skoll wrote:
>
> > And I really really *really* dislike the taskbar.  I liked the old
> > CDE way of turning closed windows into icons.  That's another reason
> > I'm sticking with XFCE-3 for now.
>
>   Oh, really? If I click on the little square on the right of the title bar
> in Xfce-4 I don't get an icon on the desktop? That's very unfortunate.

You can use either xfce4-iconbox or ROX Filer. I hate the taskbar too.

>   Sigh. Too many folks in the (ahem!) "high-tech" industry forget that while
> all progress involves change, not all change is progress.

Fer chrissake, try it out before making the snarky comments! It's rather
disheartening to have over a year and a half worth of work so casually
dismissed, especially by people like you, Rich, whom we counted as our strongest
supporters. :-(

Things have changed, yes, but you *should* be able to configure a desktop pretty
much the same as you used to have, except for minor changes and major
improvements.

If a Luddite[1] like Joe Klemmer can get used to 4, surely others can too.

-- b

[1] Fortunately, Joe has a sense of humour.