starting apps sticky in XFce4

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Fri Oct 31 09:17:39 CET 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:35:31 +0100, Remco Lubbers wrote:

> 1. I use gkrellm with the invisible-theme, so I can't push the sticky button,
> but I want it sticky and invisible every time I start XFce. In XFce3 I just
> set it up the way I wanted it, closed down XFce and the next time, all apps
> open when I shut down, started as I left them.
> Now I have created a startscript in ~/Desktop/Autostart but the thing is not
> sticky. Can use -wm of course and push the sticky button every session, but
> how to automate that without having to use the wm-borders?

use gkrellm2 -- it has a config option to start sticky.

> 2. How would I go about if I do not want to use the taskbar? Can't disable it
> in the settings. I just use "startxfce4" to start XFce4, but no line here that
> I can just comment out. have looked at the files in ~/.xfce4 but could not
> figure it out, can''t be that hard though.

copy /etc/xfce4/xinitrc to .xfce4/ (or edit in place for a system wide change)
chmod +x it
edit it and comment out the line that has 'xftaskbar4'.
you may want to uncomment the line that says 'xfce4-iconbox' otherwise your
windows will just disappear when you minimize them.

hth,

-- b