starting apps sticky in XFce4

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Fri Oct 31 10:19:11 CET 2003

Hi Biju,

Thanks for replying!

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:47:39 +0530, Biju Chacko said:

>  > 1. I use gkrellm with the invisible-theme, so I can't push the sticky button,
>  > but I want it sticky and invisible every time I start XFce. In XFce3 I just
>  > set it up the way I wanted it, closed down XFce and the next time, all apps
>  > open when I shut down, started as I left them.
>  > Now I have created a startscript in ~/Desktop/Autostart but the thing is not
>  > sticky. Can use -wm of course and push the sticky button every session, but
>  > how to automate that without having to use the wm-borders?
>
>  use gkrellm2 -- it has a config option to start sticky.

I AM using v2.1.7, did look at the start-options gkrellm --help, wasn''t there,
but now that you mention it, had a look at configuration -> general ->
properties and there it is, sorry!

>  > 2. How would I go about if I do not want to use the taskbar? Can't disable it
>  > in the settings. I just use "startxfce4" to start XFce4, but no line here that
>  > I can just comment out. have looked at the files in ~/.xfce4 but could not
>  > figure it out, can''t be that hard though.
>
>  copy /etc/xfce4/xinitrc to .xfce4/ (or edit in place for a system wide change)
>  chmod +x it
>  edit it and comment out the line that has 'xftaskbar4'.
>  you may want to uncomment the line that says 'xfce4-iconbox' otherwise your
>  windows will just disappear when you minimize them.

Did that with /usr/local/etc/xfce4/xinitrc (the only xfce4 related xinitrc I
could find). Commented out the xftaskbar4& line and added xfce4-iconbox&
instead (there was no commented iconbox line).
After restarting XFce4 I had both the taskboar and the iconbox! The only way to
get rid of the taskbar was by commenting out the taskbarline in
/usr/local/etc/xfce4/xinitrc, so apparently XFce4 looks at both files during
startup?

Remco