xffm question

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Oct 31 05:32:15 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 15:11, mc collilieux wrote:
> Le Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:01:50 -0600
> Dennis Tuchler <tuchledj at slu.edu> écrivait :
>
> > When I open xffm to the home directory, at the top of the stack of
> > icons is one that looks like a book and is labeled "Book". When I look
> > "under" that icon, I am told: "Use drag, drop to add"  What's it for?
> >
> Hello,
>
> It is bookmark as in a web-browser. You can put here a sub-directory or
> sub-sub-directory or a file (only a link) to fast and easy access to
> that directory or file . You can have several bookmarks (see menu File -
> bookmark - new) and choose between them with Ctrl + B
>
> And can open xffm directly on book with xfbook4

You can also bookmark remote SMB hosts, shares or files within shares if
you need to work with SMB hosts.

I find it useful to create virtual folders with stuff that I have spread
along a complex directory structure and which I do not want to move nor
create symlinks to each.

And if you do not want the book, you can use the xfce-mcs-manager to
make it disappear from all instances of xffm (except those invoked as
xfbook4, of course).