Cannot open files in SMB network

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Oct 5 10:48:59 CEST 2003

Hello everybody,

I am just getting to know xfce4 and thus have some questions.

First, I like that the file-manager has got everything browseable in it.
Though somehow I cannot open files on the network, their permissions are
displayed as -rwx--- and so on. Neither double-clicking nor STRG+O and
selecting an application to open the file with work. I can open these
files using KDE, so what am I doing wrong in xfce?

Second, when I enable the folder tree on the left of the filemanager it
does not "connect" to the second column, i.e when opening a folder in
the tree the files do not display in the right column. Actually bothing
at all moves in the right column but when I open those folders directly
in it. But then again the left column does not move and adjust to my
selection from the right. Feature or bug? Is it meant to be a two
independent column file-manager?
Following from this, when selecting a file and choosing open with...
from the context menu I cannot access other programs but a few from the
list. Xine for example is not in there. How can I chose it to open the
selected file?

Third, when I chose crystal icons for the panel, the mozilla -mail icon
just display as four opposing arrows pointing to the middle and I cannot
change it, as its properties just displays position, mailbox etc.
I guess this is meant for apps that actually use the var/spool mailbox.
It should not be used for mozilla, should it? Still it is placed by
default on the panel.

Cheers, Sven