Cannot open files in SMB network

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Oct 5 16:27:02 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 03:48, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am just getting to know xfce4 and thus have some questions.
>
> First, I like that the file-manager has got everything browseable in it.
> Though somehow I cannot open files on the network, their permissions are
> displayed as -rwx--- and so on. Neither double-clicking nor STRG+O and
> selecting an application to open the file with work. I can open these
> files using KDE, so what am I doing wrong in xfce?

Nothing. Currently the double click for network files is not
implemented. You have to drag and drop to a local directory and then
open. Bummer, yes. We hope to get around to fixing that if we can find
the time.

> Second, when I enable the folder tree on the left of the filemanager it
> does not "connect" to the second column, i.e when opening a folder in
> the tree the files do not display in the right column. Actually bothing
> at all moves in the right column but when I open those folders directly
> in it. But then again the left column does not move and adjust to my
> selection from the right. Feature or bug? Is it meant to be a two
> independent column file-manager?

Feature. It's a twin view of the same tree model. Once you open a folder
it is loaded into both treeviews, but only gets expanded on the treeview
that got clicked.

> Following from this, when selecting a file and choosing open with...
> from the context menu I cannot access other programs but a few from the
> list. Xine for example is not in there. How can I chose it to open the
> selected file?

Since it is not in the general application mime file
($PREFIX/share/xffm/applications.xml), you must use "open with" and
check the "remember box". That will make it appear in the popup submenu
and be the default double click action. You can also edit the general
application mime file and add programs you find missing, then send it
back to us so it can be updated for the next xfce release.

> Third, when I chose crystal icons for the panel, the mozilla -mail icon
> just display as four opposing arrows pointing to the middle and I cannot
> change it, as its properties just displays position, mailbox etc.
> I guess this is meant for apps that actually use the var/spool mailbox.
> It should not be used for mozilla, should it? Still it is placed by
> default on the panel.

Means that they are symlinks. The symlink icon for the crystal icons,
and for some other themes, are not quite good. Corrected icons are
welcome for next release.

regards,

Edscott