using two monitors with XFce4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Nov 29 10:38:07 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 10:07, Remco Lubbers wrote:
> Op Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:36:02 +0100 schreef Olivier Fourdan aan Remco Lubbers
> <rpl at concepts.nl>, xfce list <xfce at xfce.org>:
>
> >  > right!, the difference is "-display" and "--display"!
> >  > The later does turn the X x-pointer into a XFce pointer, but clicking anywhere
> >  > on the screen echoos on the commandline:
> >  > [remco at mars remco]$ xfwm4 --display :1.0
> >  > (xfwm4:13589): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1.0
> >  Yes, probably because you should use xfwm4 --display :0.1 (instead of
> >  1.0, 1 is the display, 0 is the screen)
>
> tried that too (of course), but same errormessage. And the above options DO
> work with xfce3, so wouldn't that mean that the screen/display selection is
> correct?

Well, if "xfwm4 --display :0.1" doesn't work while "xfwm4 --display
:0.0" does work, then it means your second screen is not detected by
xfree.

> I will have another look at my XF86Config, maybe I did not set up up
> correctly...

Possibly yes.

> But that means that I need the 2 monitors to run the same resolution, isn't it?
> And another thing that anoys me now, is that my beautiful XFCE-mouse gets
> stretched over the two monitos beyond recognition.

That's the wallpaper, then yes, the wallpaper might be stretched across
the two screens (wallpaper is not as critical as window placement)

Might have to choose another wallpaper or another layout style ("tiled"
instead of "streched", for example)

> One of xfce4-screenshots shows a xinerama setup with 2 different sizes of
> screens and 2 sepperate backgrounds, is that because one used your following
> remark?

Different resolutions on the two screens is really managed by XF86Config
and its screen layout. xfce has nothing to do with that...

As for the wallpaper, it's fairly easy to prepare a image with the
correct size that shows an image on each screen, using the gimp.

> hmmm, I installed the MDK 9.1 rpm from Todd, any way of telling if the option
> was used during compile? I prefer using 1 system for software-management.....

I don't know. What I can tell is that the spec files we provide do
enable the option, so there is a good chance that Todd used these.

> Thank you so far, I'm getting closer!

I guess so :)

Cheers,
Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org