using two monitors with XFce4

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Sat Nov 29 19:21:56 CET 2003

Hi Olivier,

Op Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:38:07 +0100 schreef Olivier Fourdan aan xfce at xfce.org:

>>>  Yes, probably because you should use xfwm4 --display :0.1 (instead of
>>>  1.0, 1 is the display, 0 is the screen)

>> tried that too (of course), but same errormessage. And the above options DO
>> work with xfce3, so wouldn't that mean that the screen/display selection is
>> correct?

>  Well, if "xfwm4 --display :0.1" doesn't work while "xfwm4 --display
>  :0.0" does work, then it means your second screen is not detected by
>  xfree.

according to my logfiles the displays are both detected and setup correctly.
Starting i.e. blackbox gives me to 2 screens, so things are setup correct then,
wouldn't you say?

>  > But that means that I need the 2 monitors to run the same resolution, isn't it?
>  > And another thing that anoys me now, is that my beautiful XFCE-mouse gets
>  > stretched over the two monitos beyond recognition.
>
>  That's the wallpaper, then yes, the wallpaper might be stretched across
>  the two screens (wallpaper is not as critical as window placement)

speaking of window placement. I read somewhere that in xinerama-mode,
maximizing a window should be within 1 monitor, if I do that in XFce4, the
window maximizes over the 2 monitors. Does that mean the libxfcegui4 was not
compiled with the --enable-xinerama option? How can I tell if the option was
used during compile?

>  Might have to choose another wallpaper or another layout style ("tiled"
>  instead of "streched", for example)

Beuh, took out the wallpaper, plain blue is beautiful also ;-)

>  > One of xfce4-screenshots shows a xinerama setup with 2 different sizes of
>  > screens and 2 sepperate backgrounds, is that because one used your following
>  > remark?
>
>  Different resolutions on the two screens is really managed by XF86Config
>  and its screen layout. xfce has nothing to do with that...

Well, in my setup (1280x1024 & 1152x864 in xinerama mode) I cannot see or reach
the lower part of monitor2, so XFce is calibrated no monitor1's resolution
IMHO. If I setup both monitors in the same resolution everything is fine, but
maybe that's the missing --xinerama option as well?

>  As for the wallpaper, it's fairly easy to prepare a image with the
>  correct size that shows an image on each screen, using the gimp.

I'm rather clumsy with graphics, so I'll leave that to other, but thanks for
the tip!

>  > hmmm, I installed the MDK 9.1 rpm from Todd, any way of telling if the option
>  > was used during compile? I prefer using 1 system for software-management.....

>  I don't know. What I can tell is that the spec files we provide do
>  enable the option, so there is a good chance that Todd used these.

I have to upgrade to 4.0.1 anyway, so I might do that this weekend. If things
don't work as I want I will install from source and see what happens then....

Cheers!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)

| Linux kernel 2.4.22 | Mandrake 9.1 | XFce 4.0.0 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |