using two monitors with XFce4

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Sat Nov 29 10:07:37 CET 2003

Op Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:36:02 +0100 schreef Olivier Fourdan aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>, xfce list <xfce at xfce.org>:

>  > right!, the difference is "-display" and "--display"!
>  > The later does turn the X x-pointer into a XFce pointer, but clicking anywhere
>  > on the screen echoos on the commandline:
>  > [remco at mars remco]$ xfwm4 --display :1.0
>  > (xfwm4:13589): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1.0
>  Yes, probably because you should use xfwm4 --display :0.1 (instead of
>  1.0, 1 is the display, 0 is the screen)

tried that too (of course), but same errormessage. And the above options DO
work with xfce3, so wouldn't that mean that the screen/display selection is
correct?

I will have another look at my XF86Config, maybe I did not set up up
correctly...

>  > While starting xfwm (v3) with the same options gives me a faily useable screen,
>  > although the screens can not "cooperate".
>
>  I don't know what you mean by "cooperate". If you run two screens on 1
>  display, then the two screens are separate and they won't "cooperate"
>  (if that's what you mean).

That's what I mean indeed.

>  If you want to be able to move windows from one screen to another, then
>  you must use Xinerama. Xfce has a very good Xinerama support

But that means that I need the 2 monitors to run the same resolution, isn't it?
And another thing that anoys me now, is that my beautiful XFCE-mouse gets
stretched over the two monitos beyond recognition.

One of xfce4-screenshots shows a xinerama setup with 2 different sizes of
screens and 2 sepperate backgrounds, is that because one used your following
remark?

>  (just make
>  sure you compile libxfcegui4 with "--enable-xinerama")

hmmm, I installed the MDK 9.1 rpm from Todd, any way of telling if the option
was used during compile? I prefer using 1 system for software-management.....

Thank you so far, I'm getting closer!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)

| Linux kernel 2.4.22 | Mandrake 9.1 | XFce 4.0.0 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |