using two monitors with XFce4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Nov 29 09:36:02 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 23:36, Remco Lubbers wrote:
> starting KDE 3.1 on my box gave me 2 useable screens...
> KDE was installed out-of-the-MDK-box, maybe that's why (?)

Or maybe that's because it's handled by kde session that spawn kwin on
each screen (just at thought, I didn't look)

> right!, the difference is "-display" and "--display"!
> The later does turn the X x-pointer into a XFce pointer, but clicking anywhere
> on the screen echoos on the commandline:
> [remco at mars remco]$ xfwm4 --display :1.0
> (xfwm4:13589): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1.0
Yes, probably because you should use xfwm4 --display :0.1 (instead of
1.0, 1 is the display, 0 is the screen)

> While starting xfwm (v3) with the same options gives me a faily useable screen,
> although the screens can not "cooperate".

I don't know what you mean by "cooperate". If you run two screens on 1
display, then the two screens are separate and they won't "cooperate"
(if that's what you mean).

If you want to be able to move windows from one screen to another, then
you must use Xinerama. Xfce has a very good Xinerama support (just make
sure you compile libxfcegui4 with "--enable-xinerama")

Cheers,

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org