Keyboard shortcuts

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Sun Jun 15 09:26:21 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 at 23:58 (-0700), Pat Martin wrote:

> I have just started using XFCE4 in the last two weeks, great window
> manager. I have a question concerning keyboard shortcuts. I have not found
> anywhere on the web or in docs that state how to make your own shortcuts.
> Is there a way to do such a thing and are the Menu and Windows keys
> available for those tasks? I usually like to set all my windowmanager
> shortcuts with the windows key and pull up the menus with the menu key
> because sometimes there is a conflict with a program using the same
> shortcut as the WM. But if only Win and Menu keys are used instead of ALT
> and CTRL there are never any problems.

/usr/share/xfwm4/themes/default.keys/keythemerc to
$HOME/.themes/xfce/custom.keys/keythemerc (or any other name instead of
`custom') and change. The left win key is Super_L. For example I use

shortcut_4_key=Super_L+t
shortcut_4_exec=xterm

to start xterm with win left and t. You can find out key symbols with
`xev':

KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 1099532, (-692,297), root:(363,343),
    state 0x20, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
                                            ========
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""   ^ here ^

HTH.

Gruss,
Bernhard

--