Some questions for a newbie

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Mon Jul 28 02:59:22 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 14:29, Lane P. Lester wrote:

> I'm a defenestrator, and I really tried to tolerate the constant
> nuisance of running as a user. I finally decided that I would just
> accept the scorn of the Linux gurus and enjoy using Linux as root. I
> don't do that much from the command line, which seems the most likely
> spot to do something disastrous. I've made a few bad mistakes, but I
> only made them once.

	You'll get no scorn from this *NIX user but I will tell you that what
you are doing, even if only with x apps, is still like playing Russian
roulette with all six barrels loaded.  You will run into a Bad
Thing<tm>.  The only thing I am curious is that you found running as a
user a nuisance.  With sudo, I have not needed to log as root in years.
In fact, I don't even remember the root password (though it is locked up
in a safe, just in case).

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.