Xffm

Mark Welker welker at kmbs.com
Wed Jul 2 23:31:21 CEST 2003

On 2 Jul 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> You have to turn on the "monitor local files" option to get autorefresh.
> If you want new files that are found to be placed on the bottom (like
> ms-exploder) you have to set that option in the xfce-mcs-manager,
> otherwise they get placed on the top of a folder.
>
> Much of the extra gtk overhead which makes xffm slower than xftree,
> actually makes it faster on faster machines (treeviews are represented
> by models with additional caches in memory), but on older boxes it
> serves the opposite effect. So in the end xffm will get faster.
>
> regards
>
> Edscott

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on the auto refresh.

I upgraded my box that has an AMD k6-3 550 MHz and 128 MB RAM to
Slackware 9.0. I did have Slack 8.1 on it.
I did this to get the right gtk stuff and, to get it more up to date.
I then installed the Slack packages I had already made for xfce4-beta2.
You are right. xffm is a lot faster on better hardware.

The other box I said it was slow on is an old laptop.
Xftree is better on it.

Thank you and please keep up the good work.

Mark Welker
welker at kmbs.com