xfce4 - In lieue of a session manager

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Jul 1 20:48:08 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 19:47, Jack Coates wrote:

> Seriously, the above command took fifteen seconds of disk churn under
> XFce3 :-)

	It takes that long on the very first run 'cause it's got to load all
the K-rap, unfortunately.

> That said, some nice stuff comes with the KDE environment which doesn't
> need the whole ball of wax -- artsd for instance is now my default sound
> system under XFce as well.

	I have to agree that kstart is nice to have handy.  I don't mind many
of the KDE or GNOME applications (Evolution is my mail client of
choice).  I just wish they'd have tried to do it w/o all the bloat and
other junk.  It's nearly impossible to easily upgrade individual
applications under these environments.  If I want to run Evolution 1.4
instead of the 1.2 that comes with RH9 I need to also upgrade a zillion
other utilities and libraries and such.  And it'll still break something
(probably mozilla).

--
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>
Unix System/Network Administrator & Ad Hoc Programmer