xfce4 panel

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Mon Jan 27 13:35:28 CET 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:03:23 +0530
Biju Chacko <botsie at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:23:41 -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
>

> > 2. Is it possible to link to the desktop quit function from the
> > panel quit button?
>
> This will happen once we have a working session manager. I haven't had
> any success with either xsm or gnome-session, so this may take a
> while.

I (and perhaps others) would have tremendous objection to the use of
gnome session (except perhaps as a conceptual model).  One of the
storngest points about xfce is that it is lightweight, i.e. you don't
need to drag in all of the bloat associated with gnome or kde/qt in
order to have a functional window manager.  What was wrong with the
xfce3 window manager, and why can't it be upgraded for xfce4?

> > 3. Related to 2, is it possible to link to the desktop menu from a
> > button on the panel?  I have an 800x600 display with every byte
> > used, so it's difficult to find a blank area exposing the desktop to
> > middle button click to get to the menu.
>
> This is on my TODO list. But don't hold your breath. BTW, you really
> shouldn't be using xfdeskmenu anymore.

And what should we be using?  Please explain.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Athlon-XP gentoo 1.4_rc2++ system xfce4-cvs