Help

Rick Sivernell res005ru at gte.net
Sat Jan 4 19:21:17 CET 2003

List

   I have had to rebuild my system, that is done. I have rebuilt
xfce to the latest release and compiled all the listed program libs
on the links page. The gle did not compile as it is missing a glut.h
file. Did not compile the GTK+ 2 engine, I do not believe I need them, if I
am wrong I will do this. In the xfce compile I had an error of varible
const char* hack_configuration_path not found. Since in main, there was a
hack_configuration_path = arg....., I added a char* hack_configuration_path to
the main's variables list, then xfce .18 compiled just fine.

When I use xdm or startx in /etc/rc.d/rc.gui, I get the login screen and able to
login properly. But then I get xfce with a black screen and a xterm log terminal
from xdm. Nothing else, but I can right or left click the desktop and a popup
returns. I can quit the xfce session, but nothing else works.

I compiled with the following this mourning:
make clean
./configure
make && make install-strip
xfce_setup for both root & users

Question:
1  The addition of the varible char* hack_configuration_path; a bad move here in
main api in demo-gtk.c

  I have asecond machine built using xfce .18 and I have compared the
.xsession-errors files and they are almost the same. I ca send the offending
loggs if that helps.

system:
Asus P2b mobo
750+ meg mem
scsi & ide drives
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1.1 Linux stock install no KDE

  any help would be appreciated
--
 cheers

 --