migrations...

MecaT mecat at wp.pl
Sat Aug 23 18:25:39 CEST 2003

Hi!

I was switching from gnome2+evolution+galeon+ggv+openoffice+nautilius,
to  xfce+balsa+firebird+gpdf+abiword+xffm. It was a horror! It takes me
more than two days to set mime-s, and still i do not know how to set
them for xffm! Another think was all my adreses, bookmarks, and IM
contacts (I use gaim, but I also try to use gnome-jabber). So the
question is simply - is there any project which try to manage all this
personal stuff and which help with migrations from one apps to another?

I think that all of those applications store data as simple text. For
example galeon and mozilla-fb bookmarks. I wasn't able to find any balsa
adreses, but evolution use xml file. It makes possible to write for
example a export application or daemon which will synchronize all those
data, and makes my life easier :-)

What do you think about idea like this?

cheers

MecaT

PS. can you show me any personal job manager (callendar with alarms and
tasks) and maybe an external adress book which use gtk2 (it can also
work with gnome, but do not have to)?