XFCE 4 updated in Debian package, latest version looks nice!

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 23:41:27 CEST 2003

Lane P. Lester wrote:

>Brian Masinick <masinick at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>I'm running 3.99.3 that I compiled. I was glad to see that my abortive
>effort to install 4.0 did not break xfce completely.
>

>>To assist me in all of these activities, I have synaptic installed.  I
>>find that if I use synaptic to search for packages containing xfce, it
>>locates all version 3 and 4 packages and their corresponding
>>libraries.
>>

>I use synaptic a lot, but isn't it true that synaptic will find only
>stuff that has been installed with the apt system? If so, then it
>wouldn't find my compiled stuff.

Yes, that's true, you have to keep track of where you built your compiled
stuff.  I ran experiments in both /usr/local and /usr and got rid of both
experiments.  I simply retraced the locations where the software was
installed,
and I used ls -lt to help me find recent changes.

>I looked at "xfce" in synaptic, and it shows the 4.0 stuff with broken
>dependencies.

That's precisely why I removed the other stuff prior to running the new
stuff.
Synaptic helped me easily find what needed to be changed.  Given that I also
have a very stable version of XFCE 3.18 and an easy way to rebuild XFCE from
alien packages, I had no problem with removing all traces of the test stuff.
Turned out to be the right thing to do, and I had absolutely no problems
installing
or running XFCE 4.0.0-1 FINAL once I did that.

>>Feel free to either copy the forum or Email me if you continue to run
>>into problems; I'd be glad to help out and identify specific stuff,
>>but hopefully this explanation will get it for you.  Best wishes, this
>>stuff is WELL WORTH IT!
>>

>Yes, xfce4 is great. At least I have 3.99.3 running, so I hope I don't
>lose it in my efforts to get 4.0.0 running! [grin]

If you do, I'd be glad to help you get it back, but I think you'll be
happy with this latest version, it incorporates  everything that people
have been talking about here.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com