Strange occurance

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 19 09:48:49 CEST 2003

>>Since you're running XFree86 4.3, try the 'xrandr' command to switch
>>refresh rates and resolutions on the fly for testing.
>
> Doing the xrandr command gave everything away...it can only manage 60 Hz under 1024 (Probably the crappy videocard that I have that does it, an old Cirrus Logic-card, this is only a PII while the Windows box is a P4....I only thought of the monitor). Oh well, I guess I have to live with this....

XRandR follows the rules you've given the X server already - so if
you've told it your monitor is only capable of 1024x768 at 60Hz (via the
HSync and VRefresh params in XF86Config), those are the options it'll
give you.

As such, do make sure those parameters are correct. xrandr is mainly
handy for asking the X server exactly what it's doing.

Reading over the XFree86 log file can also be handy.

BTW, a randr GUI panel for the settings panel in XFCE would be a
seriously cool thing to have. Of course, that's /all/ I can say, as I
have neither the time or skills to write it - just call it an idea.

Craig Ringer