Strange occurance

Anders Lind sunshinecoast at swipnet.se
Tue Aug 19 09:11:39 CEST 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:57:34 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> Nope, that's an XFree86 configuration issue. I guess it's possible that
> XFCE could have an X config applet - I haven't heard of it, but then I'm
> pretty new to the list.

That would be interesting if somebody could do that, I would if I knew how to program

> XFree86 modes are only resolution, not refresh rate. It'll use the best
> refresh rate it can at any given resolution, given the HSync and
> VRefresh values you told it about your monitor, and/or the DDC-probed
> values (when it asks your monitor directly).
>
> So if you get a higher refresh rate in windows than you're getting in X
> under the same resolution, either you're overdriving your monitor under
> windows or your HSync and VRefresh values in XF86Config are too
> conservative.
>
> Since you're running XFree86 4.3, try the 'xrandr' command to switch
> refresh rates and resolutions on the fly for testing.

Doing the xrandr command gave everything away...it can only manage 60 Hz under 1024 (Probably the crappy videocard that I have that does it, an old Cirrus Logic-card, this is only a PII while the Windows box is a P4....I only thought of the monitor). Oh well, I guess I have to live with this....

Thanks, it solved my problem, although not in the way I wanted, LOL

/Anders