panel redraw bug - occasional

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Aug 16 20:07:33 CEST 2003

Hi all

I'm currently using XFCE4rc1 (I'll test this against rc2 shortly, but
want to ask about it while I remember), and I've noticed an occasional
odd quirk with the panel draw/redraw.

The panel is set to auto-hide.

Essentially, it seems that if the panel draw is only partially complete
when the panel goes back to hide mode, xfce never attempts to finish
drawing the contents. All buttons etc work as expected, but the regions
of the panel that weren't properly drawn never have their contents
updated, they remain the window background colour. Interestingly, the
highlighting used to outline the current active button /is/ drawn.

It looks like xfce4-panel essentially consders the panel's contents
"already drawn" and must be restoring a stored copy of the image when it
pops the panel back up. Great idea, but it doesn't seem to already keep
a /correct/ copy of the drawn panel contents.

This is most commonly seen on slow links, such as our LTSP workstations
at work. However, I've seen it on my 1.5Ghz athlon (760mb RAM, fast
HDDs) so it's clearly not confined to slow graphics situations.

I'll see if I can reproduce it with rc2 when I get a chance, and let you
know how it goes.

BTW, I was wondering if there was a panel or systray battery monitor
plugin. It'd be awfully handy, since I use XFCE4 on my laptop too.

Craig Ringer