Applet request...

Paul Ladouceur tipaul at look.ca
Mon Aug 11 04:47:41 CEST 2003

Dan Karmgard wrote:

>Hello Paul,
>	OK, I've hacked together a plugin that can toggle a network device and
>display the traffic. The graphics are rudimentary but functional (I
>figure I can make it pretty later on). Basically it's just a button that
>can take the commands/scripts you use to bring your modem up or down,
>and the icon changes based on the traffic flow of the device (also an
>option you give it). You may download it from
>
>http://neutron.hep.nd.edu/karmgard/xfce4/xfce4-pppwatch-plugin-0.1.0.tar.gz
>
>	There's a README that explains (in the most opaque language possible
>:-) how to configure and install it. I haven't a phone here that I can
>use with  my modem, but I've tested it pretty well using a wireless card
>and it seems to function properly.
>	I do have a general question. I used the "system()" call to pass the
>commands to a shell (sh -c if memory serves) and that works fine under
>Linux. But I'm not sure that other Unixes have that same call. Can
>anyone tell me if there's a more generic equivalent of this call? (my
>FreeBSD machine is at home with the functional modem).

Hi Dan!

Thanks for making this applet... The functionnality is the same as I
wanted!!! :)
(PS: I viewed the README! ;)  )

But it doesn't work for me:

(1) The ./configure doesn't place the icons in my xfce4/themes/Curve
directory as I demand by parsing this instruction:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-theme-directory=Curve
--enable-compiler-warnings=maximum --enable-iso-c

It always copy the .png files to Gnome dir... So i had to manually copy
them...

(2) I had it inserted on my pannel (had the phone icons after correcting
the point above), right-click it to configure my script to:
/usr/local/bin/ppp-go   and /usr/local/bin/ppp-stop  (the one I use on
my Slackware 9 box)
But none of these scripts are executed when I click the icon!

I started manually from xterm: ppp-go   and after connexion, the modem
lights appeared and everything is shown on the applet... But clicking on
it doesn't execute the ppp-stop script i've entered!!?

NB: I don't know why, but my scripts aren't executed by the two-state
launcher applet that i've tried before your applet!!!

I've attached my script (ppp-go) in attachment for you to check why i
can't run it from applet...

This is the permissions on the file:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3438 Mar 25 23:40
/usr/local/bin/ppp-go

Regards,
Ti-Paul.