Failure to Compile

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 22:02:36 CEST 2003

Lane P. Lester wrote:

>Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:
>

>>do a fresh checkout or d/l the RC2 tarballs and do a
>>'./configure && make && sudo make install'.
>>

>I tried an update-xfce -A again, but it bombed again at the panel step:
>Making all in panel
>make[2]: Entering directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4/panel'
>Makefile:350: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4/panel'
>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>Error: Compilation of "xfce4" failed.
>
>So I compiled RC2, and that went fine. It's very tedious doing each of
>the packages separately. Do you guys have a preferred way of doing that,
>other than by writing a script with a bunch of cd's and './configure &&
>make && sudo make install's in it?
>
>Lane
>____
>Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia
>**Running Linux more and Windows less**

I haven't had any success using the update-xfce -A script on my Debian
system.
All I can think of is that I either have a non standard mix of stuff or
something
really is missing.

If you happen to know the sequence in which the various pieces need to be
compiled, I'd be glad to either assist or write some scripts to put them all
together.

I've waited a while to get new Debian packages and haven't seen any coming.

Meanwhile, I've used the handy wget script to obtain all of the Mandrake RPM
packages and I've successfully put them up, and I really like XFCE 4 RC 2 on
Mandrake.  Still, I'd like even more to see it on Debian.  If I can just
build it,
perhaps I'll take the time and learn how to package it.

Any list or order of steps that are needed to successfully build the
packages
would be most helpful, both to building the stuff from source, and possibly
to creating packages.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com