Failure to Compile

Lane P. Lester llester at simpub.com
Mon Aug 4 22:35:14 CEST 2003

Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
> > LC2:~/xfce-devel#  ./configure --prefix=<...> && make && make
> > install bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&&'
> >

> hmm, I don't want to be rude, but if you don't know what the above
> means, you have to ask yourself if you really want to be doing this

Ha, ha! I agree that, if I didn't know what =any= of that line meant, I
have no business trying to compile something. I understood all of it
except the prefix part, because I've never used it before. I just let
the system use the default directory.

> Anyway, the program that didn't compile was the panel, which is in
> xfce-devel/xfce4/. The <...> in my example was meant to be replaced
> with the prefix you are installing to.

Now I understand, and thank you, Joe, for also explaining this to me.

Anyway, make goes along until it gets to the panel:
Making all in panel
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4/panel'
Makefile:350: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4/panel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/xfce-devel/xfce4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is there any way to fix the above?

Lane
____
Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia
**Running Linux more and Windows less**