[PLUG] Red Hat version 8.0 due out Monday (9/30) (fwd)

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sat Sep 28 01:41:25 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 14:38, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 gardnerj at provide.net wrote:
>
> > If you get your xf* from CVS it's in the xfce-devel/ as xfdeskmenu (I
> >  think) so follow the CVS instructions and get that module. I also like
> >  xfdeskmenu as it allows you to change your xfwm4 theme on the fly, even
> >  if it takes a little while sometimes, when loading a theme for the first
> >  time.
>
> Jonathan,
>
>   Thanks very much. Putting the NoIcon command in ~/.xfce/xfwmrc does it for
> me. Transparent aterms, a solid, dark teal backdrop color and only the
> asclock in the upper, right corner. Ah!
>
>   BTW, I tried fancy backdrops, such as the Tux one, but with transparent
> windows trying to read text against the variable background is no fun.

most transparent terms let you set a shade color and percentage, which
allows enough of the image through to look good but not enough to annoy.
For instance, here's what I use:

aterm -fn "-bigelow & holmes-lucida
console-medium-r-normal-*-*-130-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" --transparent -fg
white -tint blue +sb --shading 40

of course different tints for different machines is nice too :-)

> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...