OK -- I give up ...

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Wed Sep 18 16:18:41 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 23:58, Scott Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 8:16 pm, R P Herrold wrote:
>
> > Play along with me, if you feel you've a firm grip on your
> > sanity.
>
> No one has ever accused me of that, but OK.

Me neither, can I play?

> > xfce3    inside click and hold | Run Program | check 'Run in
> > Terminal' | "sudo konsole" (no quotes --in the command box) |
> > OK
> >
> > IFF  you were NOT already running a KDE DCOP server
> > ... the System opens a terminal, prompts for the end user
> > password, and opens 'konsole' in ROOT mode. --
> >
> > ====================================
> >   If you were, it carps:
> >
> >     Password:
> > ---------------------------------
> > It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
> > that it is not already running, remove
> > /home/herrold/.DCOPserver_couch_localhost.localdomain_0
> > and start dcopserver again.
> > ---------------------------------
>
> It asks for the password, but no complaints about DCOP either way on
> this system.
>
> > So I have two questions:
> >
> > 1.  I can mouse into the Run box and get it running -- but how
> > in xfce 3, do I add a Run (in terminal) to the panel in the
> > 'Add Icon', or in one of the  $HOME/.xfwm.user_menu
>
> You answered it yourself: sudo needs to run from a terminal.  When you
> add an icon, the command line would be "Term sudo konsole".

There is of course an exception: in /etc/sudoers you can configure it to
not ask you for a password. There is a slight increase in risk, because
now if you forget to lock your screen before walking away, the system
could be compromised more easily. Don't forget to lock the screen.

By doing it this way, I can put things like this in my xfce3rc:
	EtherApe
	/usr/share/pixmaps/etherape.png
	sudo etherape

Another option is to use a graphical su -- xsu, gsu, and I bet there's a
ksu. These pop up a little window asking for any missing info, such as a
password:
	DrakConf
	/usr/share/icons/mdk-hicolor/normal/mandrake.png
	xsu -u root -c DrakConf
	View Logs
	/usr/share/xfce/icons/X_server.xpm
	gsu -e logview

> > I see:
> >
> > #AddToMenu "user_menu"
> > #+ "&Gnome Terminal" Exec gnome-terminal
> > #+ "" Nop
> > #+ "&The GIMP" Exec gimp
> >
> > but I cannot get it going with ...
> >
> > AddToMenu "user_menu"
>
> Instead of:
>
> > + "&Gnome Terminal" Exec /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/konsole
>
> Try:
>
> + "&Root Konsole" Exec gnome-terminal -x /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/konsole
>
> > no effect at all that I can see on the mouseable User Menu ...
>
> As above, you need to run sudo from a terminal.

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...