Iconize to specific location

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Sep 14 07:57:04 CEST 2002

Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 20:25, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> four.  Bottom and left go to the exact same place.  Top and right
>> ditto.
>
> 	Top starts at the upper left corner and goes across the top edge of the
> screen.  Left starts at the upper left corner and goes down the left
> side of the screen.  Bottom and right work similarly.

If you have 1 icon, it goes to exactly the same place with left/bottom
or right/top.
I don't usually have more than one.  Sometimes I do though and I see what
you mean.

>> Can I make them always on top or something?
>>
>> Anyone have code for .xfwmrc that does this sort of stuff?
>
> 	On the top of the screen or on top of any windows that might be opened?

In this case I meant on top of any other windows.. sorry.  Currently
if I have more than one it gets hidden under the spot where I like to
keep the clock.  I'd prefer it to be on top of the clock but at the
bottom of the screen, I guess.

Really none of this is earth shaking since after all there is the right mouse.

Part of my trouble with icons is that I like a large `virtual' desk
so if an icon goes to one corner, its pretty unhandy to find quickly.

I was hoping for top or bottom to be central top/bottom I guess.

Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman at mindspring.com> writes:

>> Is there no way to put them in a box/window or into the panel or a better
>> choice than those two in the setup tool?
>
> Yes, there is no way to do that ... unless you install 3.8.18, which
> provides a taskbar, which puts tasks (not exactly icons) at the bottom of
> the panel.

I think I have 3.8.18 installed but there doesn't seem to be any easy
way to determine the version.  xfce --version  starts it up instead
man xfce draws a complete blank on version.
xfwmrc --version  (no soap)

Apparently it was one of the low colesterol items.

My source toplevel dir has a file named xfce-3.8.18.lsm. So I guess
this is it.  I didn't notice tasks/icons going to the panel.  My
panel has some Icons on it.  But they are not apps that I iconized
during a no use period.

> I then eliminate icons entirely by putting
> Style "*"                       NoIcon

First you make icons, them eliminate them.. Not sure I get the reasoning.