Iconize to specific location

Patrick Wiseman pwiseman at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 14 02:51:23 CEST 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 18:18, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> >> How can I make any iconized apps go to a specific location.
> >> In fact a container located in some certain spot would be nice.
> >>
> >> Currently any iconized app goes to far upper right in my largely
> >> default setup. About as unhandy as humanly possible.
> >
> > 	Setup -> Windows -> Icon Position
> >
> > 	You have a choice of Top, Left, Bottom & Right.
>
> Oh, thanks, I missed that, neglected to scroll that pane.  However it
> seems there are really only two choices even though the picture shows
> four.  Bottom and left go to the exact same place.  Top and right
> ditto.

Not exactly.  Those choices determine whether icons _line up_ Top (along
the top), Left (down the left side), Bottom (along the bottom), or Right
(down the right side).  So Top/Left might look the same when there's only
one icon, but they are 4 different options.

> Is there no way to put them in a box/window or into the panel or a better
> choice than those two in the setup tool?

Yes, there is no way to do that ... unless you install 3.8.18, which
provides a taskbar, which puts tasks (not exactly icons) at the bottom of
the panel.

I then eliminate icons entirely by putting

Style "*"                       NoIcon

in ~/.xfce/xfwmrc.

Patrick

Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman at mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*