Strange behavior with upgrade to RH 7.3

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 5 23:37:09 CEST 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Net Llama! wrote:

> The curses installer is still available.

  Yes, and it offers different choices -- before the package selection stage
-- than does the GUI. Strange, but true. At lease, in the installations
here.

> That just further proves that you can't upgrade from 6.2 to 7.3.  If you
> have to put stuff back that was there before the upgrade, then the
> upgrade failed....miserably.

  Well, whatever you want to call it is OK with me. I used to have 6.2 on
the systems here, now two of them have 7.3. That's because the standard
installation puts on the hard drives only what's on the cdroms. If you've
added fonts, as I have, and installed a few dozen end-user applications then
they have to be replaced from the backup tape. After all, the filesystems
are created anew and all data on them is lost.

  The notebook will wait a few weeks. :-)

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President