Strange behavior with upgrade to RH 7.3

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 5 23:12:28 CEST 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Net Llama! wrote:

> WHat kind of hardware are you working with?  This is definitely not
> normal, and i've done quite a lot of Redhat-7.x installs.

  A solid, reliable PII/333MHz with 328M RAM an nVidia (is that the name?)
with the RIVA 128 chipset and 4M vRAM, a Creative/24X cdrom, a Plextor
10/12/32 FW-SCSI cd-rw and a Tandberg SLR-60 FW-SCSI tape drive. It's more
the RH installer, I believe. Too cute by half and not as solid as the TUI or
ncurses UIs that used to be the norm.

> This sounds like a hardware problem, especially combined with the odd
> install problems that you had with RH.  Perhaps the videocard is
> failing, or maybe even the system memory?  Hard to tell at this point.

  A lot is getting the fonts and other pieces back again. Amazing what a
difference that makes. :-)

> I assume that you've got a decent amount of physical memory, and a swap
> partition.  Have you looked in your messages, XFree86*.log, and
> ~/.xsession-errors files?

  As above, 328M RAM and 256M swap space. Haven't looked at the X* logs.

  Perhaps it was cleaning the dust out of the case that screwed things up.
:-) After all, it was about a year or more since it was last shut down and
opened up.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President