xfce v4.0 ? (was Re: 3.8.18)

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 4 06:49:51 CEST 2002

On 02 Oct 2002 09:28:48 -0400, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> > Oh, and are there any even very approximate timescales for V4? And
> > what are the key changes in V4?
>
> 	Oh man, I can't keep up with this one at all.  There's a
> 	xfce4-devel
> list that you can look at for some info.  The list archives should be
> up somewhere.  Chuck?

v4 will be released when it's done -- which *won't* be any time soon.
:-)

There will be a *lot* of changes. Many of the key components (like the
WM and panel) have been completely re-written, allowing many new
features like theming for the WM and vertical mode for the panel. The
stated goal, however, for XFce 4.0 is replication of the existing
features of XFce 3.x within the new architecture. Feature additions will
be targeted for 4.x.

Currently, v4 is in very early stages, but is very usable. You will
probably need an installation of v3.x to get a full featured desktop,
though. Jasper Huijsmans put up a HOWTO to get started with XFce 4.0.
Search the archives for the link.

-- b