Componentization of Xfce3 (was: Re: Critical need for next release)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu Oct 3 00:24:11 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 14:41, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> I think this is a real requests, not just another one of those funny
> comments of Olivier. It would be really nice if someone would want to be
> the official maintainer of xfce 3.
>
> If I may be so bold I would also like to add that we probably
> need a website maintainer as well.
>
> It's probably not really my place to ask, but ... any volunteers?

But what could be done easy enough is to have a perl script (run by cron
every day) reconstruct the xfce3 home page so that the latest official
release always points to the last tarball and rpm's built at
http://linux.imp.mx/ (a perl script to do this would probably be less
than twenty lines). This way any developer with CVS write access could
effectively create a new release by modifying the spec file at the CVS.
Since all this is done automatically, it would take no time at all from
the xfce-4 work. Also, compilation cpu time and bandwidth would not
affect developers developers boxes either.

We would need another volunteer to manually enter freshmeat and
sourceforge release announcements, which need not necesarily be done
with every automatic release, just every once in a while. I suspect this
might be something Joe might say yes to. ;-)

Edscott