restarting galeon window offscreen

gardnerj at provide.net gardnerj at provide.net
Sun Nov 17 07:08:10 CET 2002

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:58:06 -0700
 Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2002 19:54:57 -0800 Jack Coates
> <jack at monkeynoodle.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 11:05, Collins wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'm not really convinced that xfwm is the problem;
> it's more
> > > likely to be something in galeon.
> > >
> > > I'll probably revert to Skipstone again at some
> point.
> > >
> > > Mozilla is not usable (IMO) because it requires a
> separate profile
> > > for each instance (you get a prompt to create a new
> profile any
> > > time you start a new instance, which is a bummer).
> > >

> > whuh? Never seen that on Windows or Linux -- can you
> describe what
> > you mean?
>
> I'll be damned!  Maybe it's stopped doing that in 1.0.1.
>  I've gotten
> that on everything prior and also on Phoenix, the browser
> only
> variant.  I mean just exactly that - a prompt to specify
> a new profile
> when opening a new instance.

Weird, I've been using Mozilla since it was a M number and
Galeon since it really was small and have never experienced
what you describe. Not saying it didn't happen to you, juat
that I don't think that was normal behavior for Mozilla.

> Also, do you know anyway to cause a remote request to
> attach itself to
> a new tab in the running instance, as does Skipstone?

You mean like a popup? Galeon's got that, but I'm not home
so I can't point you to the exact preference.

> > > Galeon has the aformentioned problem and it has the
> #@!% blemish
> > > of prompting you each time you restart instead of
> just quietly
> > > restarting.
> > >

> > I actually like this -- if I was doing something
> important with
> > several different tabs, I can recover it, but if I
> killed Galeon on
> > purpose and just want Google now, I can easily get
> there.
>
> Tastes vary.  I would prefer a way to dispense with the
> prompt.

If you kill Galeon in a normal manner, either closing it
from the file menu or clicking on the upper right close
button, Galeon will not give you the prompt next time. Of
course it won't be restarted by any session management
either, but that could solve your original problem as well.

> > > All three have excellent tab functions, but Skipstone
> has the plus
> > > feature of automatically opening a new tab in the
> running instance
> > > when you double click on a uri (in email, for
> example).
> > >

> > My Galeon set up does this -- there's a couple of ways
> to skin the
> > cat, either a command line switch in the MUA or as a
> Galeon setting
> > that opens all new stuff in tabs instead of windows
> (that's a little
> > annoying with javascript popups of little pictures and
> forms,
> > though).
> >

> Tell me more about skinning the cat.  I haven't found any
> documentation to RTFM thus far.

For me the easiest way to open any clicked link in a new
tab in Galeon is simply click on the link with the middle
mouse button. Assuming you have one.
Good luck,

Jonathan