upgrade

Mark Welker welker at kmbs.com
Thu Nov 14 01:43:12 CET 2002

Hi Joe,

You say it is not installed in the rpm data base.
I thought that /etc/ld.so.conf handled lib dependencies.
If it is installed enter the path into that file and run ldconfig as root.

I gave up on rpm distros about two years ago because they were flakey
and, started using Slackware.

I have learned a little and, now I have much better success getting the
tarball and making my own Slackware packages for my boxes.

RPM distros may have advanced since I tried one of them.
But, I am happy with Slackware and the tarballs.

On 13 Nov 2002, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 16:08, Tony wrote:
>
> > I've had nothing but problems. Errors saying lib<what-ever> not
> > installed, when it is, etc,etc. I've had much better luck with tarballs...
>
> 	That usually means you have something installed but not using the rpm
> database.  If you want to use rpms them you have to always use rpms.  I
> use the utility checkinstall to make rpms out of tarballs and it's been
> the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I can install anything I want
> and not have to worry about dependencies.  Another option is to use apt
> and that way all dependencies will automatically be satisfied.
>
> --
> "Khaaaaamaaayyyy, Haaaaamaaaayyyy, HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
>                 -- Goku, Dragon Ball

Mark Welker
welker at kmbs.com