exec format error

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Nov 11 08:08:05 CET 2002

Well, that really has nothing to do with XFCE, but would you please try
'showexec' option, when mounting (v)fat partition? (assuming you have
2.4.x kernel -- try 'noexec' otherwise)

Thanks.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Igor wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:01:01 -0800
> From: Igor <furlan at telocity.com>
> To: xfce at moongroup.com
> Subject: Re: exec format error
>
> Joe Klemmer wrote:
>
> >         Go into the xtree.reg file and set the association for the file type to
> > the full path of the script.  The problem is likely due to a different
> > environment for xftree than a shell.
>
> I've followed your advice. First I will define few "names" I am going
> to use in the summary.
>
> "test.doc"       =   MS WORD file located on vfat/msdos/fat partition
> "xfceoowriter"   =   tcsh script
>                      ========================
>                      #!/bin/tcsh
>                      chmod 666 $1
>                      /usr/bin/ooffice
>                      ========================

> 1st attempt
> manually added to the "xtree.reg"  this line
>
> (.doc) (xfceoowriter) ()
>
> RESULT:
> double click on "test.doc" creates pop up window
> with the message "/mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"
>
> if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
> I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit
>
> if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click" works
>
> NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
>       I see
>       xfceoowriter /mnt/windows98/test.doc
>       Open with ...
>       Register ..
>       etc

> 2nd attempt
> manually added to the "xtree.reg" this line
>
> (.doc) (/usr/bin/xfceoowriter) ()
>
> RESULT:
> double click on "test.doc" creates pop up window
> with the message "/mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"
>
> if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
> I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit
>
> if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click"
> brings on the screen a pop up window with the message
> "Open with ..."
>
> NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
>       I DO NOT SEE  anything. On the top of the menu is written "
>       Open with ...
>       Register ...
>       etc

> 3rd attempt
> I've tried to register ".doc" through the right click menu
>
> A) registering "xfceoowriter"
>    Yes, I can register it, but double click still does not work.
>    I got the same message "mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"
>
>    if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
>    I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit
>
>    if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click" works
>
>    NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
>          I see
>          xfceoowriter /mnt/windows98/test.doc
>          Open with ...
>          Register ..
>          etc

> 4th attempt
> [...]

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."