exec format error

Igor furlan at telocity.com
Mon Nov 11 09:01:01 CET 2002

Joe Klemmer wrote:

>         Go into the xtree.reg file and set the association for the file type to
> the full path of the script.  The problem is likely due to a different
> environment for xftree than a shell.

I've followed your advice. First I will define few "names" I am going
to use in the summary.

"test.doc"       =   MS WORD file located on vfat/msdos/fat partition
"xfceoowriter"   =   tcsh script
                     ========================
                     #!/bin/tcsh
                     chmod 666 $1
                     /usr/bin/ooffice
                     ========================

1st attempt
manually added to the "xtree.reg"  this line

(.doc) (xfceoowriter) ()

RESULT:
double click on "test.doc" creates pop up window
with the message "/mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"

if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit

if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click" works

NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
      I see
      xfceoowriter /mnt/windows98/test.doc
      Open with ...
      Register ..
      etc

2nd attempt
manually added to the "xtree.reg" this line

(.doc) (/usr/bin/xfceoowriter) ()

RESULT:
double click on "test.doc" creates pop up window
with the message "/mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"

if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit

if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click"
brings on the screen a pop up window with the message
"Open with ..."

NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
      I DO NOT SEE  anything. On the top of the menu is written "
      Open with ...
      Register ...
      etc

3rd attempt
I've tried to register ".doc" through the right click menu

A) registering "xfceoowriter"
   Yes, I can register it, but double click still does not work.
   I got the same message "mnt/windows98/test.doc: Permission denied"

   if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
   I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit

   if I remove "execute" bit from the file, "double click" works

   NOTE: on the top of the menu (after right click on the file)
         I see
         xfceoowriter /mnt/windows98/test.doc
         Open with ...
         Register ..
         etc

4th attempt
I've tried to register ".doc" through the right click menu AGAIN

B) registering "/usr/bin/xfceoowriter"
   XFce does NOT allow me to register the path from above.
   All i get on the screen is a pop up window with the
   message "Can't find in PATH: /usr/bin/xfceoowriter"

 NOTE:
  my path is
  > echo $PATH
   /usr/local/bin:/bin://usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/igor/bin
  > ls -la /usr/bin/xfceoowriter
  -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 Nov 10 21:32 /usr/bin/xfceoowriter

  if I right click on the file and select "Open with ...",
   I can launch "xfceoowritter"  regardless of "execute" bit

------------------------
C O N C L U S I O N
------------------------
As far as I can see it seems that the root cause for
my problem is within "xftree". "xftree" does not see
the script file when I double click on the file and
the file has "x" bits set. On top of that, it seems to me,
that "xftree" does not recognize full path definition
of the script file

Any other idea ?

Thanks

Igor

--
I do not get viruses because I do not use MS software. If you use Outlook
or Outlook Express then please do not put my email address in your