keystrokes to change desktops

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 29 17:42:46 CEST 2002

On 29 May 2002, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> The shortcuts by default are Ctrl+F1-F10 to switch desktop or
> Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right to navigate between desktops.

  Thanks, Olivier. The latter has always worked for me, but not the
former. I don't know why and it's certainly not a big concern for me. The
way I found to work best for me is to have one app per desktop (except for
one that has two aterms open at all times) and I use the panel (with the
trackball) to move from one to the other. For me, this is productive.

  When someone raises the issue of keystroke navigation I always try it
again, but without success. I like that idea because a) I have a Gateway
keyboard with function keys on the left (which I use) as well as on top
(covered with dust from disuse) and the ctrl key is to the left of the home
row, where it belongs. :-) So, I could eliminate the panel if I could move
directly to a desktop with the control keys.

  In ~/.xfce/xfwmrc I have this:

key F1 A C -
key F2 A C -
key F3 A C -
key F4 A C -
key F5 A C -
key F6 A C -
key F7 A C -
key F8 A C -

and I've not understood all the intricies of the rc file to know how to
change the hyphens to make something happen with a ctrl-Fx press. When it
comes right down to it, most of the contents of xfwmrc are a mystery to me.
:-)

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President