new user comments/ colormap bug?/ Mapping keys?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Mar 26 16:11:20 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 20:20, Jay Pfaffman wrote:

> I started using xfce  last week & really like it.  KDE was getting a
> bit big for my 200Mhz PPro with 128MB of RAM.  In spite of my whining,
> I don't think I'll be going back to KDE any time soon.  Thanks very
> much.

	Welcome to the club.

> SURELY A BUG:  I have my color map like I want it.  After a while,
> however, new xterms open with a white background and black text rather
> the black background that I want (I've been able to change the text
> color from stark white, but I'm living with that for now).  If I
> change the GTK theme engine and apply (I've changed from xfce to GTK
> and back again, changing either way seemed to fix the problem.  When
> it's "broken" the color maps in the panel's setup app all come up
> gray.

	This is probably related to the "Apply colors to all applications"
button in Setup -> Palette.  I keep this unchecked just to make sure
that the colors I want are always used.

> BUG or RTFM/documentation: I've tried adding customizations to both
> ~/.xfce/xfwmrc and ~/.xfwmrc, but neither seems to do anything.  It
> seems that some of those things get set, but when the panel cranks up,
> it un-does them.  I've tried re-mapping a few keys, for example, but
> nothing seems to change.

	The only safe way to change these manually is to exit XFce completely
and then edit the files.  If you edit them while XFce is running it will
overwrite whatever you did.  There's a good reason for this but I can't
remember what it is right now.

> RTFM/documentation: I can't tell what the hell the eight color panels
> are in Setup app.  I have tooltips turned on, but they never come up
> here (or anywhere else).  I've figured out half of them by trial and
> error.  I remain confused.

	That's been hunted down and documented somewhere but I have no idea
where.  It's probably something that does need documenting.

> AESTHETIC: I'd like to see a list of *all* of the apps when I ALT-TAB,
> not just the one that I'd be changing to.  It's very helpful to see
> the whole list of open windows & then know that I need to hit N more
> tabs to get to the window that I want.  If alt-tab gave me the window
> that comes up when I mouse-3 on the desktop, I'd be happy.  Similarly,
> I'd like to be able to control tab to other desktops and alt-tab to
> list only apps on the current desktop.

	Ctrl-Esc

> AESTHETIC: I'd like mouse-2 and mouse-3 on the maximize window
> decoration to maximize horizonally and vertially.  I don't like
> pulling down a menu (worse I confuse horizontal and vertical about 25%
> of the time, but I doubt you could fix that).  Perhaps I could fix
> this if I could re-map keys.

	Clicking on the min/max button does this for me.

--
Using Linux since 11/91		|		http://www.linux.org
Linux user #29402		|		http://counter.li.org