Change Font Sizes for taskbar buttons / main panel / app menubars

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Jul 30 13:43:47 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:41:37 +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:46:49 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > To me it sounds a bit like gnome has somehow taken over management
> > of the.gtkrc file. Xfce simply writes a .gtkrc file, which includes
> > the font information. If there is a custom .gtkrc file present xfce
> > will not overwrite it and maybe gnome does.
>
> I found out about *that* gotcha when I first started using xfce a
> while back. It's not that, because I am able to change gtk colors, etc
> from xfce. the only thing is the gtk font. That refuses to behave
> unless I go throiugh the ritual I mentioned earlier. As I said, I
> noticed this after upgrading to xfce 3.8.18

Did a little digging and found out that despite the fact that xfce puts
the various "font" lines in individual styles in the .gtkrc, they do not
actually seem to work. When I run gnomecc, it adds the following line:

style "user-font"
{

fontset="-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-11-*-*-*-p-*-koi8-ru,-*-v
erdana-
medium-r-normal-*-11-*-*-*-p-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*
-r-*"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

After this, the font setting works

This seems to be a change in the way gtk works, rather than any issue
with xfce.

-- Biju