Options for smbmount in SMBXFCE (Was: Re[2]: App killed when using the mouse roll? + questions)

MaT mat at razdva.cz
Wed Jul 10 20:13:48 CEST 2002

> The smb protocol uses the "text DOS" for ascii > 128. So all that is
> needed is to know the equivalence between the 8859-1 or 8859-2 ascii
> code and the "text DOS" to enable browsing with smbclient an xfsamba.
> Unfortunately my "la" keyboard can only produce accentuated characters
> in spanish. To enable the czech characters for browsing with this
> "bug-workaround", I would need to know what are the ascii codes for the
> czech characters are. This is easily accomplished if you can produce
> them with your keyboard.

Problem witch czech character is a bit more complicated. :-) There are
plenty of encodings...

Today, there are three that we must take into consideration:

ISO 8859-2 - used by Linux (also known as ISO Latin-2).

Windows CP 1250 - it is used by Windows.

CP 852 (also known as Latin-2) - this codepage is used by Windows for
storing the filenames... I know, it looks really stupid, that Windows
is using two different codepages, but...  ask Bill. :-)

As far as I know, when I specify the options as I mentioned above:

codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2

Linux is then doing the conversion from CP 852 to ISO 8859-2, that is
natively supported by Linux...

BTW, I can look for the codetables of all czech encodings somewhere,
but I think it is in same way already present in the system... Maybe
something like "cp852.nls" and "iso8859-2.nls"...

MaT

mailto:mat at iol.cz
Jabber UID: mat at njs.netlab.cz
ICQ UIN: 18969028