filmanagers

Kristian Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 18:23:08 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:07:25 -0600
Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> Dillo is fantastic for what it does; it just needs a few more
> features.

Indeed, yes.

> I disagree about galeon.  The mozilla core is so good, so why
> would anyone take the time to reinvent the wheel.  The galeon
> tabbed window support, on the other hand, is much more
> sophisticated than what mozilla offers.  Opera also has good
> tabbing support.

Hmmm, I'm on Debian GNU because of the licensing issue, having vrms
an essential application that is installed on all my boxes, so opera
definitely is not an option to me. I agree about the galeon
interface, though - the tabbed view is pretty handy in a couple of
situations, but (perhaps my good old PII-350 by now already is too
slow for this) even this way, galeon shows the same problems on my
box as 'pure' mozilla does: there are web sites that are rendered
incredibly _slow_ in mozilla, here, in fact that is possibly the
only thing KDE is faster in on my machine. To answer your question
about why to re-invent the wheel: Seeing what browsers are available
just with a GTK+ - interface: there are skipstone and galeon, and
there is dillo. skipstone is a little faster than galeon while
speaking about the user interface, and it is as well starting faster
on my XFCE desktop (probably because galeon relies on the gnome
subsystem to run and skipstone doesn't). However, when it comes to
rendering web sites, they're exactly the same because they both rely
on mozilla. Dillo is the only one of those that doesn't rely on
mozilla as the page rendering engine, and (even though there are
some features still missing) it is the one of those browsers having
the best performance, at all. Perhaps sometimes it's not a bad thing
to re-invent the wheel if there's a possibility that the new wheel
(at least by some criterias) is better than the old one. :)

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)