filmanagers

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu Jul 4 18:55:46 CEST 2002

[ snips ]

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:23:08 +0200 Kristian Rink <afterimage at gmx.net>
wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:07:25 -0600
> Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:
>
> > Dillo is fantastic for what it does; it just needs a few more
> > features.
>
> Indeed, yes.
>
> > I disagree about galeon.  The mozilla core is so good, so why
> > would anyone take the time to reinvent the wheel.  The galeon
> > tabbed window support, on the other hand, is much more
> > sophisticated than what mozilla offers.  Opera also has good
> > tabbing support.
>
> Hmmm, I'm on Debian GNU because of the licensing issue, having vrms
> an essential application that is installed on all my boxes, so opera
> definitely is not an option to me.

I must admit that I don't understand "the licensing issue," and I'm
not familiar with vrms.  Yes, Opera is commercial software, but you
can run it (with banner ads),  I coughed up the bucks to buy a
license, but I seldom use it any more because of galeon.

> To answer your question
> about why to re-invent the wheel: Seeing what browsers are available
> just with a GTK+ - interface: there are skipstone and galeon, and
> there is dillo. skipstone is a little faster than galeon while
> speaking about the user interface, and it is as well starting faster
> on my XFCE desktop

> Dillo is the only one of those that doesn't rely on
> mozilla as the page rendering engine,

I'll have to give skipstone a try.  It would be nice not to need gnome
for anything.  Thanks for the tip.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-galeon